header-photo

Friday, June 12, 2009

Come to the labyrinth

Walking the labyrinth

“Come to the labyrinth,” She said, “and don’t leave until you feel the tiniest of shifts. It won’t feel like the earth shaking, but you will notice it if you pay attention.

“It might feel like a gentle breeze tickling your cheek. It might sound like the songs of a dozen birds in the bushes around you. It might smell like the roses at the centre of that labyrinth. It might look like a tired fuzzy purple crocus getting ready to die to make space for the eternal cycle of seasons passing.

“Pay attention to all of those things,” She said. “That’s where I am – in the rose, the bird, and the tiny worm dangling from an invisible thread. You’ll find me there and we’ll sit together at the centre of that labyrinth. Because I want to be in your company today. I want your attention and I will give you mine.

“The other things filling up your mind right now – the energy-sucking demands of the seven-year-old energizer bunny waiting for you at home, the conference call your boss wants you to be on this morning, the fact that you left too many things in a state of undone – those can all wait for another time. Or better yet – let them go entirely. The world will not fall apart if you miss the conference call.

“Just sit,” She whispered, as I protested. “No, don’t come up with another ‘but…’. Just sit. I have things I want to tell you. But you have to be still to hear them, because I won’t speak above a whisper.”

And so I sat. And listened. And paid attention. And waited for the shift.

10 comments:

Melita said...

wow, very moving. wonderful post!

Olivia said...

Yes, so very beautiful, Heather! What a gorgeous, peaceful labyrinth video. I also like your labyrinth ring. It must have taken so much time, what a work of art! You make such wonderful videos, Heather.

FYI, here is some of my experiences with the labyrinth: http://tinyurl.com/lrhb42

I am so glad that something shifted. Love, O

Anonymous said...

What a cool looking place. Makes me want to find one in Calgary.

Jamie said...

How beautiful. I so enjoyed the trip with you into the labyrinth. Peace touched me through that door too. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say except that all your posts lately resonate a lot with me. Oh, the human condition, eh? Clouds come and clouds part. I love labyrinths, too.

elaine said...

love your labrynth walk,

i was sitting quietly with a friend one day and he asked what i was doing, i said i am listening to God,, he said and what is God saying... i said He is saying "Listen"

elainelaurin@hotmail.com said...

heather, where can i find a copy of the music you used in this piece, it is beautiful.

Karmyn R said...

Peaceful.

This week we were on vacation and driving down a highway where we didn't see another car for over 26 miles....so we pulled over and all piled out of the car and just listened. It was so quiet except for a meadowlark singing.

I could have sat there for a long time - in the middle of absolutely nowhere listening to the meadowlark.

Jones said...

Last year at a retreat I had the experience for the first time of the labyrinth. It spoke peace into my heart in what was a tumultous time in my life. Every once in awhile I think about it when the same situation comes up. Today even now, peace comes. Thanks for sharing.

joyce said...

hmmm. somehow you have the ability to sit still in the busy of life and lISTEN. And share.

The last photo of you is really lvoely.