header-photo

Thursday, October 13, 2005

The play's the thing

Last night I got to go to the THEATRE! Yay! It's been a long time (way too long) since I've been to the theatre. I used to go much more regularly - especially when I was studying theatre at university. Now it just seems to be one of those rare luxuries that I just can't find time and money for.

But yesterday I got to go for FREE! A co-worker was planning to go with her husband, but he baled out at the last minute, so she asked me.

What did we see? A delightfully delicious play called Copenhagen at the Prairie Theatre Exchange. Wow! What a feast for the literary and intellectual senses! Here's what the playbill says:

In 1941, the German physicist Werner Heisenberg made a strange, clandestine trip to Copenhagen to see his Danish counterpart, Niels Bohr. Their work together on quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle had revolutionized atomic physics. But now the world had changed and the two men were on opposite sides in a world war. Why Heisenberg went to Copenhagen and what he wanted to say to Bohr are questions that have vexed historians ever since, but Michael Frayn's fiercely intelligent and daring play poses some possible answers.

At first I thought I might get lost in the complexity of quantum physics, and there was a fair bit of that, but it was brilliantly intertwined with relationships, ethics, the tricks of memory, the complexity of war, the pain of losing someone, etc., etc., ETC. There were so many layers to it, as it shifted from narrative to the re-enactment of memories and back again, that you were never sure if you were catching everything, but you never wanted to let your mind wander. It was so well-crafted and well-written that you always felt like you were getting fed delectable morsels of a bittersweet treat.

If it comes to your town, go see it. Or, better yet, pay a visit to Winnipeg and see it here! I think you'll be glad you did. I liked it so much, I'd see it again.

3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, it would be nice to catch the next plane, but ...

We are schedlued to see Sleuth in a little local theatre in another week or two.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very interesting! I'm always looking for good scripts, and this sounds like a fascinating story.

And how grand to go to the theatre. Ironically, I hardly ever go myself because I'm so busy directing. I am going to see Lion King this Friday though. Hooray!

mmichele said...

oh i want to see that one, not just because of my new obsession with copenhagen, but just because it seemed like a great play. glad you liked it.