header-photo

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Too soon

Eleven months ago, we said good-bye to Brad. 40 years old. Motorcycle accident. Too young to die. Today they will bury his mother. 62 years old. Heart attack. Too young to die.

Are you ever old enough to die?

Are you ever ready to say good-bye to someone who shares your life?

The last time I saw Mrs. B. she nearly crumpled to the ground at her son's grave. Overcome with grief. Now the only remaining family members - her husband, her only remaining son, and her four grandchildren - will stand by her grave and try to fathom life without her just like she tried to fathom life without her Brad.

There are hardly words to express the depth their grief must be.

7 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, too young and too soon.

Liz said...

I'm so sorry Heather.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this. Both were too young, yes....

However - are you ever old enough to die? I think the answer is yes -

My great-grandmother was 96 when she passed. Her husband (married 70 yrs) died 3 years earlier and although she was still sound in mind, her passing was like a gentle goody-bye. She missed him so much and although she enjoyed seeing grandkids and greats - she was ready to leave us - and we were more than willing to let her go....knowing she was going to be with Pops again. Sure, we were sad when she died, but we were actually happy for her. Make sense?

Janet said...

And think of her sadness, burying her own son! Parents are NOT supposed to out-live their children.

I'm so sorry for the loss, Heather. I hope that writing about it has eased YOUR pain a little...and I think their family would be touched that you care so much.

Janet

Whippersnapper said...

Truthfully, I have never had someone really close to me die. I'm dreading the day it happens, I don't know how I would deal with it, but I suspect it would be badly.

Linda said...

I cannot bear the thought of outliving any of my children. So I just don't think about it.

Pamela said...

no. our spirits were designed for eternity.