header-photo

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Beginning 2010 with a word to inspire me


It was on my last flight that my word for the year came to me.  I'd just spent a week in a rental car, exploring various parts of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in between meetings with staff, volunteers, and supporters and now I was on my way home. After finishing the book I was reading, I closed my eyes and leaned back in my chair. As I began to drift to sleep, listening to the cacophony of sound in the plane, this thought punctuated my inner monologue like a flash of fireworks... OH HOW I LOVE THE JOURNEY!  I sat there feeling so blissfully content, so perfectly calm and relaxed, and I knew that this moment was about as good as it gets for me.

I love the journey. I really, really do. Planes, trains, automobiles, bicycles, boats, or even my own two feet - it doesn't matter - I just love the whole process. It doesn't matter if I'm going on a grand adventure to Africa or just driving to my favourite bookstore - I am almost always content when I am in motion, going somewhere, on a journey. With or without companions.

And that, my dear friends, is my word for the year. Journey. This year I'm not going to try to conquer any montains, face fear with bravado, or set grand goals for myself. There's a time and a place for all of that, but right now, for me, it's time to savour the journey.

It doesn't mean that I'm going to travel more (though that would be nice), or that I'm going to uproot myself or my family, it just means that I'm going to remember to savour whatever journey I'm on.

Here are some of my thoughts on what it means to focus on the journey:
1. I'm going to try to be in the moment more.
2. I'm going to learn to pack light and not weigh myself down with too much baggage.
3. I'm going to take time for conversation with interesting strangers, just like I did on that long train ride to Cleveland.
4. I'm going to let myself be inspired by the beauty that's right here in front of me.
5. I'm going to forgive myself for not accomplishing grand goals.
6. I might even manage to forget about the destination now and then and just focus on the process.
7. I'm going to be open to adventure around the bend in the road.
8. I'm going to stop and stare at the wonders of the world.
9. I'm going to take lots of pictures and tell lots of stories.
10. Mostly, I'm going to savour more. Really savour - like that long slow sip of chai latte that's got just the right mix of spicy and sweet.

Here's my dream board for the year.



And here's the painting I was working on this morning - about one of my favourite kinds of journeys, along the misty beach early in the morning as the seagulls are waking up.

And, just for fun, here's how I'll be starting the journey - with brown hair!

14 comments:

ccap said...

You know what they say, brunettes have more fun...

Dovelily said...

I love your word for the year! Wishing you many, many happy and fulfilling journeys in 2010!

Pamela said...

WONDERFUL list. I'm going to stop and enjoy the journey too. I'm not sure I'm headed anywhere -- but I'm still going to try to enjoy.

Kelly said...

Good word, great interpretation/implementation of it and fantastic hair!

Sandy Dempsey said...

Yes! This fits so perfectly with everything I have learned about you this past year.

Sandy xxoo

Anonymous said...

What an amazingly obvious and PERFECT word for you! This will be interesting to watch...

Happy New Year and Happy New YOU! :)

Bethany said...

Journey on.
Love this writing.
And your art.

Anvilcloud said...

Happy travelling through the year.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post for the new year. And ooooh, it's such fun to change your hair. Happy new year!

Hiro Boga said...

Wishing you magical journeys this year, Heather. May they take you to your heart's desire.

Barbara said...

Nice post and nice dream board. As you may know, Journey is a favorite word of mine, too. Enjoy yours!

Bailey said...

"my" journey song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khrxWs05JSY

Karen D said...

What a lovely dream board with wonderful intentions. I love your word, "journey". My Words are "RELEASE" and "OPEN" my intention is the first one will lead to the second.
May your New Year be filled with all that you wish for.

Karen D said...

What a lovely dream board with wonderful intentions. I love your word, "journey". My Words are "RELEASE" and "OPEN" my intention is the first one will lead to the second.
May your New Year be filled with all that you wish for.