header-photo

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Sometimes

Sometimes I am a weak and foolish person.
Sometimes I hurt people because I jump to conclusions.
Sometimes I am impatient with my children.
Sometimes I approach motherhood like a duty and forget that it is a privilege.
Sometimes I don’t try hard enough to understand other people.
Sometimes I’m a know-it-all with too much pride.
Sometimes I forget to listen.
Sometimes I am lazy and slothful.
Sometimes I take people for granted and forget to appreciate them.
Sometimes I think only of myself.
Sometimes I gossip and forget that it hurts people.

“But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Sometimes it’s hard to imagine what can be done with so much weakness.

One of my favourite books is The Gift of Being Yourself: The Sacred Guide to Self-Discovery. It was a pleasant surprise, because I expected it to be just another feel-good-self-help book. Instead, I was challenged, because one of the most important lessons that I took away from it was that, to fully be ourselves, we need to recognize our weaknesses. I’m working on that.

5 comments:

Janet said...

Heather,

I could use a dose of that sometimes myself. Thanks for the recommendation -- I'll try to get the book over here.

Janet
(lordcelery.blogspot.com)

mmichele said...

sometimes, i think you're one of the neatest people i know...

Dale said...

Radical honesty! You are a most amazing lady, Heather. Good things will continue to come your way.

Linda said...

I too am weak, like you. You said it so well. Thanks for your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I must look for this book. I too am learning that to acknowledge my weaknesses is not a bad thing.