header-photo

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Can I go back to Parenting 101?

Do you ever get the feeling you are a profound failure as a parent? I do. Regularly. Tonight was one of those nights.

After fighting with Nikki for about an hour over her piano lessons (she's not quite grasping the scale concept), listening to her berate herself for being dumb, listening to her scream at me for making her practice piano instead of going to the mall, I was completely spent.

And what do I get for my efforts? Her pronouncement that she was going to shop for a t-shirt that says "Moms are cruel". Maybe I should go into a t-shirt franchise - I could make a whole whack 'a dough off disgruntled children with t-shirts like THAT!

But...when our fight was over and the dust had settled, what did I do? Well, I made cupcakes for her Easter party at school. Now I ask you, would a cruel parent do THAT?

4 comments:

ccap said...

Did you at least rub it in a little? Bring on the guilt? :-)

Heather Plett said...

Yes (she says sheepishly) I DID say something about how cruel could I REALLY be if I spent all that time making pretty little cupcakes that look like easter baskets :-)

Anonymous said...

*man* do I remember the Piano Practice fighting days. This year, for the first time, she will practice without complaining.

Melodee said...

I could use one of those t-shirts!