header-photo

Thursday, January 07, 2010

A picture is worth a thousand words


Today I am posting this picture simply because it made me smile yesterday when I came across it in one of our work publications.

It makes me smile and it helps me to remember that I've lived a good life. I have been privileged to walk on foreign soil many times. And I will do it again and again. This was taken almost exactly 5 years ago in Kenya, and yes, that's me with a little less hair, a little less weight, and a fly on my cheek. And a huge grin on my face because I was doing what I love most in the world - going on a journey. And meeting fascinating people. And letting the world change me.

This is what I wrote on my very first post on this blog, when I was preparing for my first trip to Africa:
I won’t expect that my English words are somehow endued with greater wisdom than theirs. I will listen and let them teach me. I will open my heart to the hope and the hurt. I will tread lightly on their soil and let the colours wash over me. I will allow the journey to stretch me and I will come back larger than before.
I believe I did what I set out to do - allowed the journey to stretch me. And I've done that on every journey since.

I'm looking forward to seeing what journeys will stretch me this year.

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Photos are such great reminders and links to ourselves and others.

millee-cents said...

Beautiful Heather. Absolutely beautiful. Our journey and growth in life is such a beautiful thing. it's so nice to see someone with the courage to blog about it.
I'm still building up the momentum to get real in my writing. I hope I can. I can still feel the wall within blocking me from speaking my truth.
Kudos to you.
Absolutley beautifuuly put.