header-photo

Monday, January 18, 2010

Haiti on my mind

Today, after 5 days away from my computer, I came back to an in-box packed full of inquiries about Haiti. Many wanted to know if we will be doing any food programming there (the answer is yes - feel free to support), but most wanted to know if M & J are safe.

This past summer, two of my staff resigned from their positions, and for completely different reasons, both moved to Haiti. J is working in a fairly remote area, providing administrative support for a clinic. M is doing contract work with NGOs in Port-au-Prince.

J reports that, though they felt the quake, they were not significantly impacted. They will, however, be providing some medical support from their clinic, so she will be working hard in the coming weeks.

I haven't heard anything directly from M, but through the NGO grapevine, I've heard that she is safe and that her home was not destroyed.

Though I've never been to Haiti, I feel quite connected to it through many friends and colleagues who have lived there or are currently living there. This disaster seems so unfathomable that there really are no words to express it.

That's about all I have to say right now, because at this time, this is one of the only things on my mind.

No comments: