header-photo

Friday, July 04, 2008

Random

1. Maddie learned to ride a two-wheeler bike this week. Based on the less-than-pleasant experiences of teaching her sisters (cringe), I was dreading having to teach her, but she was much more relaxed about it (perhaps it’s a youngest child thing?) and it turned out to be fun and surprisingly easy.

2. I like to think of myself as a fairly tolerant person. I don’t yell at bad drivers (maybe they’re distracted because they just found out a family member died) and I try to give rude salespeople the benefit of the doubt (maybe their mother was never kind to them and they didn’t have a good role model). BUT… there are a few things I just can’t tolerate. Littering is one of them. On Tuesday (Canada Day), I saw three people casually toss garbage on the ground and walk away. COME ON PEOPLE! Let’s not be stupid!

3. Only one week until Folk Festival!

4. Maddie dropped in at the office this morning to donate the bag full of the change she’s been saving for months. She wanted to give it to the poorest country in the world – “because they don’t have enough food and they often have to drink dirty water”. I guess she WAS listening when I came home with stories of the people I’ve met in my travels! Ah, it swells a mother’s heart.

5. A few weeks ago, I went to a blogging workshop at a Christian writers’ conference (without having researched the presenter first). The blogger leading the workshop was shockingly right-wing, and what I’ve seen of her blog since is mostly anti-Muslim (with a little anti-gay thrown in for good measure) rhetoric - some of it frighteningly hateful. She has a large readership and it fills me with uneasiness that there are so many people who sing her praises. It also fills me with uneasiness that she was applauded at a “Christian” writers’ conference. (I could say more about that conference – but I'll save that for another time.)

6. I’ve actually had time to sew this week. What fun! I’m finally putting my lovely Indian fabric to good use. Nikki has a new dress, and Julie has a shirt and capri pants. Maddie’s next. Watch for the family in the funky Indian tie-died clothes at Folk Festival!

7 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Unfortunately, the words Christian and right wing (two words, I know) are synonymous to many. I remember Cuppa attending some sort of get-together and people being asked to state something they were thankful for. One young lady was thankful for being a Republican. Pretty funny in a way but not so funny really.

Anonymous said...

That is sad about the workshop - however, there are people like you who give me hope that tis world can be headed in a better direction. Obviously, your daughter has a good role model!!!

ccap said...

Well, Nikki looked smashing in her outfit so I'm sure J & M will too.

Liz said...

I wish I could go back to teaching bike riding again. I'm gearing up for Abby's driving lessons and I'm not sure I'm ready to go through all that again.

Linda said...

How sad about the Christian Writer's Workshop.

Learning to ride a bike is a milestone that is such a privilege to be part of, for a parent.

Judy said...

Give your Maddie a hug from me.

SHE knows how to love!

Janet said...

I agree with Anvilcloud - sadly, "Christian" and "right wing" have become joined-at-the-hip in the minds of too many people. It just doesn't need to be that way.

And re #6, will you promise to dress the girls in their new clothes and take a photo for us, PLEASE?

Janet