header-photo

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sidelined

I should have been on the sidelines of the indoor soccer field last night, watching my agile, long-legged, beautiful daughter sprint across the field after the ball, doing her skip-step whenever she kicks it into high gear, weaving in and out of the opposing players with awe-inspiring skill (yes, I'm proud of her - how can you tell?), adding another goal to her growing total for the season. Oh how I would have liked to have been there.

Instead, I sat in the emergency room all evening, watching my agile, long-legged, beautiful daughter sitting in a wheelchair looking bored, disappointed, and uncomfortable.

Nikki fractured her ankle yesterday. For the next month or two, instead of sprinting across soccer fields, she’ll be limping along with crutches and a cast. It’s rather disappointing timing, with fun Christmas plans that include a trip to a waterpark, probably some bowling, a soccer tournament that she was invited to join with the developmental team, and lots of playing with visiting cousins, etc.

She’s a trooper, though, and she’s handling this all surprisingly well. She’s tough and independent. She hurt herself playing soccer in gym class at 9:30 yesterday morning (“Mom, I think I heard something snap”), limped around school all day, and didn’t even call me until almost 3:00 in the afternoon. Then, because it was too late for me to go get her, she managed to get herself home on the school bus.

She’s pretty determined not to ask for much help for anything either. When I dropped her off at school this morning, her teacher said “I’ll get the other kids to help her out with stuff.” And I said “good luck with that. She won’t very easily admit she needs their help.”

She was in a reasonably good mood this morning on the way to school, but I'm a little afraid that tonight, once the novelty of wearing a cast wears off, she'll be a very sad girl.

8 comments:

mmichele said...

OH NO!!!

And for something like a gym class... not even a "got the winning goal but sprained ankle with last kick" kind of thing.

Hugs to Nikki (Well she won't really want a hug from me, but you know what I mean.)

Linda said...

Poor Nicki! Such a disappointment.

Liz said...

Hoo boy. Bad timing indeed. I hope she's not in too much pain.

Gina said...

I am so sorry to hear that!

She is a trooper, I hope her ankle heals soon!

Robyn said...

Poor Nikki! Thats nightmarish timing :(

Anonymous said...

I tried to say this yesterday but the comments page wouldn't load - man, that bites. Poor kid.

Eric Postma said...

That sucks! But cheer up Nicki, in no time she'll be flying down that field again.

Pamela said...

May the ankle heal with ease ...and quickly.

Not the Merriest Christmas gift!