header-photo

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Home

The water's boiling for my tea, the house is quiet with the family all away at piano lessons, and I am curled up on my couch - home again. Another flight. Another magical lift-off moment. Another night spent in another hotel room. Another day spent in meetings and presentations (doesn't it just SUCK when your presentation falls into the 2:00 in the afternoon slot when everyone in the room is beginning to drift off to sleep?) Another taxi ride (no Ethiopian cab driver this time). It's good to go, but it's always good to return.

In my job, I often end up in meetings and conferences full of a variety of church leaders from a variety of denominations. As is still the case in WAY too many of them, today I was once again a tiny minority in a room full of men. The only other woman in the room was there with her husband - she worked as his administrative assistant. It makes me sad that so many churches are still missing half the wisdom, half the giftings, half the blessings, and half the opportunities to learn by not allowing or encouraging women to lead. If you'd asked most of the men in the room today, I'm sure they would have said "oh, of course we let women lead" and yet the room full of men tells a different story. It makes me weary.

But that's not a problem I'll solve today. The water boiled. It's time for tea.

13 comments:

Pamela said...

ah ha! you nailed it.
they " let" women lead.

mmichele said...

i bet you didn't even realize your wrote "let."
hope you had a lovely cup of tea.

Lucia said...

There are still some places...and some times...where women aren't quite there yet. Usually not because of the women's skills as leaders, but because of the men around them.

Janet said...

I agree with everything you wrote in that posting.

And welcome home! I ALSO understand how wonderful that feels!

Janet

BarnGoddess_01 said...

When I was a young girl growing up in a Roman Catholic Family, I was visiting the convent with my mother (she was a devout catholic). I was about 5 or 6 yo and going to be in the 1st grade, I was sitting in the kitchen at the counter while some sisters were baking ( I was sampling) I commented that I changed my mind from wanting to be a nun to becoming a Priest......I can remember the looks they gave each other! My mother set me straight on the drive home..

Linda said...

The church, by not allowing women to lead, is reflecting to the world only half of God's image. That is so, so, so sad.

Anonymous said...

This is precisely why we chose to raise our sons in a church where women are everything. Senior ministers, Presidents of the board and everything in between. So...girls grow up with good role models and boys don't think the're being emasculated every time they don't get the spot at the head of the line. I feel sorry for kids who grow up in the fundamentalist churches who keep trying to stress the false notions of male-superior/female-subservient world.

Gina said...

That is one of my big beefs with the Catholic Church, although they do have nuns. But it is known that nuns are not as "powerful" as priests, as they do not turn the bread into the Body of Christ.

Whippersnapper said...

Welcome back, you fab woman, you!

Anonymous said...

Our church has several women in leadership, me being one of them. I didn't realize it wasn't something common until recently I had a meeting with another church and seen the same thing you seen. Mostly men. Interesting.

Nice quiet house. There's nothing better. Except maybe a house filled with laughter.

Dale said...

Our preacher is a woman and many of our committees are led by women. I find your post enlightening. And sad.

Anonymous said...

Your writing just makes me want to have tea with you...in my "childhood" church back in the Bible Belt, no female was allowed to have any part in the worship service. I'm not certain, but I think it's still that way. In other words, they didn't LET the women do nuthin'.

Anonymous said...

Can you be more specific about your job? I'm genuinely curious....:)