header-photo

Sunday, January 15, 2006

In sickness and in health

Warning: this post may cross the line into "too much information".

For more than twelve years now, whenever I get sick, Marcel has stood above me, often with his hand on my back, while I vomit violently into the toilet. It's not a pretty sight - believe me. (Is it EVER pretty to watch someone vomit?) And yet, he stands there patiently, holding me up if he needs to, carressing my back to let me know I'm supported.

Why does he stand and watch me? Well, I have a strange tendency to pass out when I vomit. I'm not sure why. The doctors aren't even sure why. I just do it, and then I wake up on the bathroom floor disoriented and often messy. My dad did it too. I guess it's hereditary. I got a few traits from my dad - most of them I'm proud of - but this is one I could have done without.

This weekend was no exception. He heard me, late last night, and he ran up the stairs to take his place behind me. Twice. Fortunately, I didn't end up on the floor.

Sometimes, we take each other for granted. Like every married couple, I suppose. Sometimes, we go for stretches where we forget to be nice to each other. Sometimes we focus so much energy on the kids that we forget to save any for each other. But then I get sick, or hit a bump in the road, and I remember why I love him.

I can't take that for granted. I can't just overlook the fact that he has had to watch this year after year, and he never complains.

He's my man. He picks me up off the floor when I need it. He cleans me up when I get messy. He sticks by me. For that, and for all those other things he does for me, I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Thanks, buddy.

9 comments:

Judy said...

How sweet!

My husband has had to deal with me and migraines.

Did they picture this when repeating 'in sickness and in health'?

Anvilcloud said...

I don't think I can articulate it very well at the moment, but that's a really, really wonderful post. This is true love: to support one another like that in our least attractive moments.

Anonymous said...

How blessed you are to have such a wonderful man. I have a feeling he is a pretty lucky guy also.

Anonymous said...

Can I thank him too? :)

Darlene said...

What a beautiful post! Talk about the vows, "in sickness and in health..." (oops, just realized Judy mentioned this, too!)

I stood by my best friend once when she was vomiting, rubbing her back, and she couldn't understand how I could do it. Is it some nurturing tendency in us?

By the way, my mom used to vomit a lot when I was younger, and many times she'd pass out. Wonder if it relates to blood pressure in any way.

Dale said...

You're a lucky girl, Heather. I think you know that. And I'll bet Marcel would agree he's a lucky man.

Linda said...

Wow. That's true love.

Anonymous said...

It must be the week to write about wonderful husbands, huh? When I read this post earlier today I thought, "She and I are lucky in the same way." Your comment on my post reassures me that you'd agree :)

Having a great husband is one of the most amazing blessings in the world. You are fortunate to have a man who takes such good care of you.

Gina said...

Well, that and your hubby wears shorts in the winter!

He rocks!